Saturday 28 July 2012

The Opening Ceremony


Tonight I am proud to be British. I have thoroughly enjoyed all the events leading up to the Olympics, I have looked forward to the Olympic Games being hosted in my country and I am really looking forward to the next two weeks. The Opening Ceremony was magnificent, very colourful, vibrant and patriotic. It was steeped in history. Watching our team come into the stadium was amazing!
The big question had been who would light the Olympic flame and I don't think anyone would have ever guessed! It was a team of  7 young athletes nominated by past Olympians. They each lit a single tiny flame on the ground, igniting 204 petals, one for each competing nation or territory. These petals then all came together to form the cauldron. Beautiful.
Here are a few pics from the Daily Mail website.

It all started at 20:12 with a Red Arrows flyover.


Bradley Wiggins (who has just become the first British winner of the Tour de France) marked the beginning of the games by ringing the huge bell!










 Rowan Atkinson was very funny and was one of the highlights for me!




Yay!!! Go Team GB!!!



David Beckham driving the speed boat!




Steve Redgrave ran with the torch into the stadium.






Well, seeing as I've stayed up until almost 2:00am to write this blog post I suppose I'd better find my way to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment