Wednesday 20 June 2012

"I Dreamed a Dream"


I heard there was a theatre production being made about Susan Boyle's life story a while ago and thought I'd like to see it. When the tour dates were announced I looked into and booked the tickets for last night. Susan Boyle auditioned for Britain's Got Talent in 2009. She sang "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miserables and absolutely wowed the judges and audience with her performance. It wasn't a song I was too familiar with at first but now I almost know it word for word! When she first went up on stage she appeared confident but there was something about her, let's just say her first impression will stay in many people minds for a very long time!

(Her audition video is here)

She did remarkably well and made her way through the semis into the final. In the end she was pipped at the post into second place by Diversity, a dance group. That didn't really make any difference as her career had taken off. The theatre production looked into her life right from birth. I had watched a documentary about her on television so knew a little about her but seeing it portrayed live on stage was emotive. Susan was starved of oxygen at birth and has endured many difficulties in her life, in her learning, over protective parents and bullies. The production also highlighted many high points too, including the first and only time she found love and her success since the show. She showed many signs of stress during her rise to fame and they were portrayed perfectly too. Susan was played by Elaine C. Smith who took the role brilliantly. Susan herself made an appearance at the end, she sang 2 songs for us, one being, I Dreamed a Dream. She got a well deserved standing ovation.



When we were standing at the train station in Manchester I thought I recognised the lad standing next to me, I mentioned to Mark who I thought he was and knew I had to ask him! It was indeed who I thought he was, Luke from Big Brother 2008! He'd also been to watch the show.


No comments:

Post a Comment