Sunday 3 July 2011

Race for Life 2011

Taking part in the Race for Life is something that is very important to me, having lost my Dad to cancer in 2006. This was my 7th Race for life as I took part before my Dad became poorly. I lost my Grandad to cancer too when I was 14 so I take part in memory of him too. This year my mum did it with me.
Today was at a new venue, Lancaster University. I wasn't sure how it would be as it's quite hilly there! I was right to be unsure, golly the course was tough! Up and down quite steep hills, mostly walking on grass. But it was a challenge that I took with pride! We also had the most glorious day, not a cloud in the sky, when walking in the direct sun is was also tough but we did get shaded breathers every so often!! All in all though I truly enjoyed the experience! I saw quite a few people I knew and I was over the moon to see Mandy and Peter who I used to work for nannying their children, Jono and Hannah. Hannah was also taking part in the Race for Life, bless her, I can't believe she is 14 now (she was just under 1 when I started looking after her!) and as you can see from the photo she towers me now, LOL!
I didn't see any of my collegues this year, apparently there were only 3 there, such a shame as there was a big crowd of us last year. I missed them at the beginning and they'd all come together and one was actually going to work after so they had to go. My friend (and manager) Sarah came along to support us though and even had fruit juice at the end bless her!

with my Mum, I am so proud of her♥
with Mandy, Peter and Hannah

look at those gorgeous blue skies!
......at the end!!!!! Note my number, I was the very first to register this year, numbers 1 and 2 have to be applied for, usually local celebrities or charity people get them

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome, well done! Love that you got number 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Karen such a good cause.Good for you to see Peer,Mandy & Hannah again

    ReplyDelete